Thursday, November 17, 2011

When you love somebody...

Tis the month of Thanksgiving.  Although my heart wakes up full of thanks every morning.  To me there are really two different kinds of thankfulness.  There's the obvious.  Our loved ones, our health, our things.  And then there's what I consider a thankful heart.  It's more of an attitude.  It's there all the time, but yet can surge at surprising moments.  A sunrise, a smile, a cup of coffee. The best part about this kind of thankfulness is that it can be taught, improved, trained.  I was raised around this kind of attitude and I pray I radiate the same spirit around my child and my husband, a spirit of gratefulness.

But since we are leading up to Thanksgiving Day, I want to talk about one of my most favorite blessings to count.  Loved ones.  My family, near and far.  Which if you know me then you know how intricately they are a part of me.  My friends.  Friends I see weekly and friends I see sporadically.  Good friends in my new town and dear friends in my hometown.  Loved ones across the country and loved ones on the other side of the world right now.  I thank God for these people every day.  I pray for their safety and protection and happiness.  Because of them I'm surrounded by love and support and prayer.  I have people who lift me up and people who are patient and forgive.  They are people who are happy when I am happy and who remind me to be happy when I forget that I am.  I am so thankful for the people God selects to put in my life.

Last month my family all got together for a long weekend.  It was one of those times where I wish I could just bottle it up.  I'd love to take my family, my friends, and a cabin in the woods by a river and just roll it up and squeeze them in my arms forever.

So in the words of my favorite toast, here's to family I consider friends and friends I consider family...



No comments:

Post a Comment