Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Dear Lulah {month 8}

Dear Lulah,

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day.

It's been almost 10 days since you turned 8 months.

It didn't slip by me.  I didn't forget.

Each night, the house quiet, you girls in bed.  I would sit down, eager to reflect on this last month.  A sentence or two typed and you would begin to make yourself heard.  Grinning and taking the hint, I would close my laptop and instead of writing about your 8th month, I would just surrender to what has become your needs in this season.

Your 8th month has certainly been a Mama month.  We are BFF's right now.  You no longer want to be laid down in your cradle to drift off to sleep by yourself.  You want me to lay down with you.  Though not very convenient, I really am enjoying it.  You aren't wanting to nurse to sleep, you just like to look at me and reach out and touch some part of my face or arm.  You simultaneously suck your thumb, sigh, and chuckle as you drift off to sleep.  Sometimes, in the rare circumstance that big sister is content and entertained, I sneak in a little snooze with you.

You've gained 2 teeth since last I wrote.  Bringing your grand total up to...two.  Your first bottom tooth appeared the day before Halloween.  Your second one broke through about a week later after a day spent at a friend's farm where you gnawed on carrots and radishes straight from the ground.

Speaking of gnawing...YOU LOVE TO EAT.  I mean, it is hilarious.  We chop up any vegetable that can roast down soft enough for you and you have just recently starting inhaling beans.  The only problem is that your enthusiasm is not reserved just for food.   You enjoy picking and pullling and eating rug fibers.  And every time we sit down to nurse I end up finding a piece of chewed up cardboard or paper that you have apparently been sucking and chewing on for who knows how long!  I'm talking every time.  This whole 'everything goes in the mouth' thing is actually new to me.   Once you become mobile, things are probably going to start getting very interesting.

Mobile?  Not quite.  Bless your heart those big ol' thighs are making it tough for you.  You like to rock on your hands and knees but when you're intrigued by something out of reach, you flatten onto your belly and stretch and reach as far as you can.  Now if we're talking just movement...you've got some moves!  You rock and thrust and shake in true beat keeping fashion.  It is hilariously cute.  Just this last week you've even learned to clap.  And I'm not even going to try and explain how you do it because I could never do it justice. I'll just have to get it on video because it seriously might be the cutest thing I've ever seen.  You are so awesome.

There was also this one other tiny little thing that happend this last month.

Mamamamamamama and Dadadadadadadada.

I forget how incredible it is to start hearing the first sounds of a little voice that will be chatting up a storm this time next year.

Lulah, there is definitely a lot going on.  And this last month has been one of the first months where I have felt really challenged and inadequate at handling the needs of two.  But baby girl, as with all things hard, there has also been growth.  And with that growth, joy.

Thankful for the days you just want to be held and you won't nap unless you're in my arms.  Thankful for when you are yelling at me because I can not get food on your tray fast enough.  Thankful for the times when Lucy makes you laugh hysterically one minute and then has you screaming mad the next.  Thankful for all of those hard times, because it means I have you.

Thanking God that you are you.

I love you my love.

Love,
Mama












And this treasure...




No comments:

Post a Comment