Monday, March 30, 2009

Shelby...Wayne???

When Steven and I started dating, he had already had Shelby for a year. So when I met this wonderful, handsome man and then found out he had this beautiful female black lab and saw how much he loved her and how much fun he had with her, what girl isn't a softy for that??? And so he introduced me to Shelby Wayne McDowell. Oh whoops, I'm sorry I thought you said she was a girl! Oh, she is a girl?

Yes, Steven wanted to pass along his middle name to his first born regardless of gender, hence Shelby Wayne. And if you know Shelby, I'm sure that her masculine middle name explains so much about her personality! Sometimes she forgets whether she's a boy or a girl. Again, if you know her, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, no need for further explanation :)

First, I had to post the picture below. It is one of my favorites ever!! Man and his dog. And if you really want to know about Shelby, you should ask Steven. He can't help but light up when he talks about his girl. Of course they both welcome all of us new additions, but the year of Shelby and Steven will always be special to them :)



Shelby is as first born as they come. She invented the term Alpha female. She typically sets the mood, the energy, and the level of obedience that she and the other girls will follow. Shelby is by far the most vocal dog I have ever seen! When she greets you or needs something she makes noises that I have yet to hear recreated by anyone or anything. (I should try to post an audio clip sometime, it is hilarious!)

At the slightest stir of movement in the mornings, Shelby will make sure to wake everyone up and beg to be let out and once we all respond and I get up and let them out, Callie and Toccoa sleepily make their way outside to go potty and begin their morning routines while Shelby stops at the door and looks at you like you're crazy if you think she's going outside this early, and then tilts her head to the side as if to say, "Thanks, I just wanted to make sure you heard me" And then she turns around satisfied that SHE decided when the day would start and goes back to curl up on her bed and go back to sleep. And this is every morning!

Another difference, is while Callie and Toccoa will soak up any attention they can possibly get, Shelby prefers to control it. She will find her spot to lay in, usually out of the way and likes to be undisturbed. Well when she decides she needs some love she will come and stand over you until you start to scratch her chest and if you stop before she's tells you she's done, she will take her bear claw of a paw and poke your arm, chest, head, or the closest available body part until you continue! (and if you've never been prodded by a bear claw, it's very persuasive!!)

There are countless stories I could tell of Shelby's quirks and attitude. She definitely has the ability to communicate more then any other four legged creature. Her facial expressions, her noises and her body language leave no room for self interpretation of what she wants, she is clear as the day is long!!

But all in all, Shelby is the quint essential dog. She always sleeps between us and the door. On walks she moves herself between Steven, Callie, Toccoa and I upon any approaching visitors. She can boss and rough house with the other girls, but when they were both new puppies, she transformed into a gentle patient mother and taught them everything. She is lab through and through and will play and have fun for as long as you let her, but she also isn't scared of anything and is a true, loyal protector. Even Steven says that she wasn't near as protective before the girls and I came along but she knows now there is more to protect, and I fully trust and believe she will do the same when we choose to extend our family. It is clear that she knows and takes very serious her job to protect and warn her family, and I am so thankful for that. And yes, classic first born, she will always have a unique place in my heart and set the standard for any that will follow after her.


No comments:

Post a Comment