Thursday, November 12, 2009

Do you have a gingerbread ornament with your 8 year old face on it?

I've been married for 6 months now and quite often when I go home to visit my parents, I still end up coming back with more than I left with. And will probably continue to do so for awhile. More and more pieces of me leaving my parent's house and finding a place in my new home.

I believe I still have 7 keepsake boxes to go.

I'm sure you can only imagine my husband's excitement and anticipation for the day I come back with my trolls and beanie baby collection, my unicorn figurines, my Elvis shrine, my folder full of every note I passed to my BFF's in elementary school, the Wheaties cereal box from 1996 that featured the girls Olympic Gymnastics team, my river rocks from Alaska that were once bright beautiful colors and are now all, well, grey...

I could go on, but you probably would not be able to handle the amount of awesomeness and number of priceless treasures that I have collected and saved throughout my 26 years of living. Things that I'm absolutely positive Steven has always imagined trying to find a place for in his home.

This last visit, I was saying my goodbyes and Mama brought out a giant bag for me to take home. It's something she did when my sister got married and this year for me and my brother. It was a bag of all of my Christmas ornaments. Those I had been given throughout the years and the ones I had made as well. The idea is that now, all three of us will hang those ornaments from our childhood and our past on a Christmas tree with our new families.

And of course, Steven I'm sure is so excited to get a tree so we can go through each one of them and I can tell him every story and memory they each possess. And I am waiting, they're still in the bag and I will patiently wait for our tree. But, I could not resist giving him just a sneak peak. A glimpse of what will be the fore front of our Christmas decor for years to come....



Yes.

My parents displayed this on our Christmas tree for almost 2 decades.

What? You want a closer look?



3 comments:

  1. Okay, this is hilarious!! I mean precious...but HILARIOUS!! Why can i see it coming alive to dance in the night?! AHHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was always one of my favorite tree ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha!!! And yes, Britt and i have been married for 5 1/2 years and I am still bringing things back home!!

    ReplyDelete