Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Soon...



Dear Baby,

Technically you won't be 39 weeks until tomorrow. But I thought I might go ahead and share something with you this week that other people have asked me about as well.

It’s pretty much a given that when people find out they are pregnant, they also find out if they’re having a boy or girl before the baby comes. Your dad and I chose not to. Some people think that’s crazy, some people think it’s pretty cool. But just in case you’re curious one day as to why, here’s a little of what was going on in my head and my heart and why I’m thankful I followed that feeling.

When we found out we were pregnant, we threw the idea out there about not finding out your sex and soon after I had a total peace about that being the route we would take. And once we decided, I simply didn’t consider any other option. It became overwhelmingly satisfying just knowing that you were part me, part your dad, part generations of family, and were being knit together by God. That was enough. It’s like it allowed me to just simplify. My thoughts were consumed with praying for your health and design, for the gifts and talents you would receive. Praying that even while inside my womb, God would fill you with love, joy, peace, and all of those Fruits of the Spirit. And it was just taking care of me and this baby growing inside. Your dad feels the same way. It hasn’t been about whether he’s going to have a son or a daughter; he gets to become a father.

But I’m not going to lie. When friends or family announce they’re expecting, there is part of me that hopes they find out because I want to KNOW! :) But that’s kind of how we’ve become with everything, we just want to know and we want to know immediately.

I've had some people ask how you plan a nursery without knowing. Well, just like you, your room is part me and my favorite things, part your dad and things that he loves, part things past down from family, and then we’ve left room to add things you like too once we meet.

And yes, it would be neat to call you by name those last months of growing in my belly.

But here’s how your dad and I see it too...

When you decide you’re ready to come, your dad will be there to literally help ‘catch’ you :) He then gets to lay you on my chest and tell me that we have a son or we have a daughter. Then during those next moments, your first moments of life outside of me, I’m going to hold you and feed you and look into your eyes, and talk to you and then your father and I will say “Hi, it’s so nice to finally meet you…”, and you’ll be given a name. And I know I will be changed forever. So baby here’s to that moment!

I’ll meet you soon…

Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment