Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day {Part 1}

I could write a novel on how much I love my dad. But at the same time, word's can't possibly express what he means to me.

The card I found for him this year said this:

They say a man's actions speak louder than words, and your actions have always spoken of love.


The card was simple, but it's sentiment represented my dad to his core. You could describe the way my dad loves as...simple. The way it should be. It's uncomplicated, unconditional, and sometimes undeserved. But it is always there, steady and unwavering, never effected by the actions of others. And yes, the words are exchanged frequently. But his love has always been expressed by his actions.

Growing up he was a fully present dad. From coaching our teams, to filming our made-up dances and plays, playing airplane on the bed, to being a human jungle gym outside...he was there. He laughed and played and he listened. He listened to a little girl talk about how she would be a rock star when she grew up. He listened to a teenager passionately argue about why it was vital that we do something about saving the whales and trees and orphans of the world. He listened to a college student ask questions, frustrated with politics and religion. And now he listens to a grown woman talk about learning to be a wife and a parent. He listens and then responds from his heart.

He teaches right and wrong by how he lives his life. I don't have one memory of him raising his voice at me. But maybe that's because I was such a perfect child ;) But I do remember how much I did and still do respect him. When you're loved that fully and without conditions, you don't want to do anything that would hurt or disappoint.

I've learned a lot from my father and I still have much to learn. Anytime I've been hurt by someone or am frustrated, I call him. His advice is always about taking the high road. He can give that advice because that's the road he takes in his own life. He understands that anger only keeps you captive. You can't fake things like love and peace and contentment. When those dominate your heart, it flows through everything you do and how you treat people. And that's my father. People enjoy his company. They want to be around him. He loves.

So thank you Papa. Thank you for encouraging educated passion, inspiring me to do what makes me happy, reminding me to keep life simple, and for loving the way you do.



Maybe one day I'll write that novel...

No comments:

Post a Comment