Friday, June 10, 2011

The Third Month

Dear Lucy,

You're 3 months old. It's only been 3 months but yet it feels like you've always been here. Which I guess in a way you have been. I carried you in my heart, then I carried you in my belly, and I now I carry you in my arms. And no surprise here but I love you even more. I no longer feel like my world has turned every which way. I feel me again, only better. I still enjoy all the things I did before, but now I have the joy and honor of introducing it all to you. You are my ultimate muse. The beauty I have always found in the little things all around me are now magnified by 1,000 by imagining the view through your eyes. I watch as your eyes widen on our walks and you soak up the contrast of the silhouetted trees against a clear blue sky.


And I swear you are already trying to imitate the birds. Like I've been telling you since you were in my belly...

Last week you smelled, for the first time. And I got to introduce those to you. There is so much more.

My time spent during the day with just the two of us is no longer quiet filled with just my racing mind. We sing to each other and carry on the most intriguing conversations. And your laugh! I could listen to that sound every second for a lifetime. You love it when we read books. You hang on to my every word and usually talk along with me. Your little hands are so much more deliberate. When you reach out and hold my finger or rest your hand on my arm or rub my side while you're eating or curl your fingers around my neck when I'm holding you, it feels on purpose now. Sometimes you even sigh, as if you can relax knowing you're with me. I love it.

We do pause for the occasional cat-nap. Where I gladly stop everything and be still so that you can lay on me and rest. I promise to do this for as long as you desire. There will never be anything more important then when you simply need me.

I still can't believe you sleep around 10 hours every night. Snuggled right in the middle of your dad and me. Funny that since you've arrived our household has never felt so rested. I didn't think it was supposed to work that way. But Lucy, you are such a peaceful baby. You have brought that peace and this incredible sense of quiet calmness into my life. Thank you.

Even with all that sleep, sometimes you still need help waking up. You start squirming with your tush in the air and you start smacking those lips and sucking on that hand. Your body is telling you to wake up and eat, but you just can't quite do it. I roll you over and you stretch with all your might and when you finally start to peel open those eyelids, the whole world gets a GOOD MORNING! With a giggle and the prettiest full gum smile I've ever seen. I just start laughing at you, my well-rested, happy, content baby who knows she's about to get breakfast in bed before we go out to the porch and start our day listening to those birds singing..for you, of course, Lucy Pearl.

You are so stinkin' cute I could just pinch your cheeks all day long. Maybe I will...



Love,
Mama

2 comments:

  1. Hi McDowell's!
    Just stopping by for a Beautiful Life fix! Lindsey, i do hope that you are getting these posts printed and bound at some point so that you can give these precious memoirs to Lucy on a day when they are needed - in middle school? Freshman year in college?
    Y'all are oh so beautiful!
    And to think that for us the wonder and magic of having kids didn't even start until our boys hit the 4 month mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - one more sweet thing. We did not have an herb garden until Ashley boy #3 was born. With Ryan i have probably tried to make up for the other two boys' missed opportunities as babies and had anything with a semi-decent odor under his nose as often as possible. The three amusing results? #1 Whenever we are outside, he runs to the roses, stands beneath one, and points until one is pulled down to his nose for a good sniff. #2 Also outside - whenever he's near the herb garden he just heads right over and sticks his nose directly into whatever he can reach. #3 and sweetest - i was getting ready to go out and had recently given myself a spritz of perfume...and was bending over from behind Ryan and fastening his pants...he turned his head into my arm, took a looooong, deeeep sniff, laid his head down on my arm and let out a sweet sigh.

    ReplyDelete