Sunday, July 17, 2011

Daddy Love

I'm with Lucy all day, every day. Her warmth, her feel, her smell; they're as familiar to me as my own. But I'm realizing that sometimes, just sometimes, if I let myself take a step back then I get a chance to witness something.

A baby girl falling in love with her daddy.



The three of us were sitting on the back porch together listening to one of our favorite Cd's, a recording of Thunderbolt Patterson playing at our wedding reception. I decided to go inside and jump in the shower. When I got out, I could hear that the song playing was the one my dad and I danced to. I peeked out our bedroom window to see Steven swaying to the song with Lucy.



I just stood there and watched. Then went and grabbed my camera. I wanted to capture it. The beginning of a million daddy/daughter moments. She's going to learn so many things from him. She's going to be crazy about him.

It's moments like these that I become thankful for Steven all over again. Not just for the amazing role that he will play in Lucy's life, but the things she will learn from watching the way he treats me. Steven is patient with me and loving. He is slow to anger and respectful. The way he speaks to me is just as important as how he speaks to Lucy. I hope to always remember that being a loving husband and wife is also us being loving parents.

It's certainly not a challenge to remember why I love this man so much when this is the view outside my bedroom window...



Oh, and that song they were dancing to? Steven later admitted he got a little choked up. After hearing this song hundreds of times, this time...he gets it.

Father and Daughter

If you leap awake in the mirror of a bad dream
And for a fraction of a second you can't remember where you are
Just open your window and follow your memory upstream
To the meadow in the mountain where we counted every falling star

I believe a light that shines on you will shine on you forever
And though I can't guarantee there's nothing scary hiding under your bed
I'm gonna stand guard like a postcard of a Golden Retriever
And never leave 'til I leave you with a sweet dream in your head

I'm gonna watch you shine
Gonna watch you grow
Gonna paint a sign
So you'll always know
As long as one and one is two
There could never be a father
Who loved his daughter more than I love you

~Paul Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment