Monday, August 1, 2011

Uncle Tyler and the sea...

Last week Lucy and I, with my sister, niece, nephew, and mom, went to visit my brother who now lives on Wilmington Island which is nestled right in between Savannah and Tybee Island. Steven joined us later but for the first few days it was just my siblings.

Now I ADORE my sister's husband and my brother's wife. They make our family feel complete and they make two of the most loved people in my life extremely happy, and for that I am eternally grateful. But there was something nostalgic about spending time as just the first born, middle child, and baby.



I'm two hours from my sister and now five hours from my brother. Sometimes months go by without seeing them. Fortunately for me, my family happen to also be my closest friends. And as with any true friend, time does not matter. When we're together we celebrate it, we treasure it, and we live in that moment. We talk about new jobs, being married, and having babies. And just maybe laugh a little at memories from those awkward years when only your siblings really get a true up-close, front seat view.

You know what I'm saying.



The reality is that my brother and sister are the only people that I will know from birth to the grave. Think about that. How many people do you have in your life that were there when you were born and God willing,will be there when you're old and gray? That's why I think one of the greatest gifts a parent can give to a child, is a sibling. And then nurture those relationships. Growing up, being mean and hateful to each other wasn't tolerated. We were taught to value and cherish each other.

Of all the things that will shape Lucy and help her grow as a person, I know that becoming a sister, a big sister no less, will be a life changing role. It's a gift I look forward to giving her one day.



So back to our visit.

One thing we all discussed and agreed upon is the importance of being a priority in the lives of each of our growing families. I love my sister's children as my own and I know I will feel the same way about my brother's children, and they about mine. But what we realize is that it's not about how often we get to visit, but making the time to visit and then making the most of it.

This past week was a perfect example. My brother spent 6 days with Lucy, but in those 6 days she went to her first baseball game and napped in his arms. She saw the ocean for the first time, bathing herself in sand and smiling while it was in her mouth, nose, ears, eyelashes, and in every other nook and roll. She squealed as the ocean breeze swirled, taking her breath away. She felt safe in his arms while kicking and splashing in the swimming pool. Relaxed into him during strolls across bridges and piers. They both got to just BE with each other. It was perfect.

When Lucy was 4 days old, my brother came to meet her. With him he brought a piece of paper...

For my Lucy Pearl, Love Uncle Tyler

The Sea Hath It's Pearls

The sea hath it's pearls
The heaven hath it's stars
But my heart, my heart,
My heart hath it's love.

Great are the sea and the heaven
Yet greater is my heart
And fairer then pearls and stars
Flashes and beams my love.

Thou little, youthful maiden,
come unto my great heart
My heart, and the sea, and the heaven
Are melting away with love!

~ HH (1799-1856)



Something tells me we won't have to worry about making that time and creating those memories :)

Thanks Uncle Tyler, we'll see you soon!



Some things Nana collected for Lucy...






"To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time."

1 comment:

  1. The perfect description of both our time together and our time yet spent... Love you.

    ReplyDelete