Thursday, July 19, 2012

Learning

This morning I was in the bathroom washing my face and brushing my teeth.

I came out and saw this.



She looked up and smiled at me, and then continued "getting ready" herself. 

I thought about how many times in those early months she would be strapped to me, curled up with just her little head peeking out of her sling while I sat on that bench, looking into that mirror.  She would watch me in the mirror while I combed my hair after a shower and tried covering up my dark circles.

Then she grew to sit on the bed and watch me.

Then she was standing beside me wanting to touch everything I was using.

Now I suppose she can do it on her own.

People constantly refer to how much children observe and soak up.  And I'm well aware of that.  But it never ceases to amaze me.  

I read books with Lucy.  We count, say our colors, and make animal sounds.  She has picked up some.

But here's some things she does well.
  • When she finds a piece of paper/wrapper on the ground, she marches into the kitchen and opens the cabinet under the sink, pulls the trash can out, throws away her trash, pushes the trash can back in, and closes the cabinet.  Now we just have to work on the definition of trash. :)
  • In the mornings, she goes to the dog food bin, scoops out food and fills it in the bowl...for all 3 dogs.
  • When she wants to go outside, she goes and gets her shoes and tries to stick her feet in them.
  • When she wants to eat, she'll go to the fridge and wait for you.
  • If she finds her nail clippers, she holds them to each of her nails and pretends to clip.
  • She'll scratch her daddy's back.
  • If she hears the dishwasher open, she comes running and stands at the side and hands me each dish to put away.
  • When we get her down after meals, she goes and gets her little miniature broom and sweeps mashes everything in even more.
  • She shares her water and snacks with her dolls, she reads to them, and she tucks them in.
  • She'll come out of her closet with items of clothing draped around her, proud that she dressed herself. 
None of which I set out to teach her.

This might seem like a list of small, insignificant things.  But together, it's the image of a little girl, not a baby.


I will always try and teach.  But more then anything, I will include her in life.  Not just letting her see, but letting her in.  No matter how much it requires Steven and I to slow down.  We welcome it.  We welcome her efforts and her attempts at contributing to the day to day that is our family.


More than anything Lord, I pray that as she watches me, she'll be led to You.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for bringing into clear view the precious memories I have with my children!

    ReplyDelete