Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dear Lulah {month 3}

Dear Sugar Lump,

3 months old, a quarter of a year.

You truly are pure sugar in human form.  Your dimply thighs, your muffin top tummy, your multiple arm rolls, your wide open eyes, your constant milky neck fold, your coos and gurgles and squeals, your deep belly chortle...sweet.  It's all sweet.  Sweetest thing in all the universe.

Even with all the demands that come with a new life, you have brought a peace with you Lulah.

And we could have missed it.  I see how too.  Trying to throw you into our pace of wild toddlerdom, your gentle spirit could become a blur.  But daily we try our best to enter your world, and time truly slows.  It is precious.

Even your sister, in all her 2 year old glory, suddenly has the capacity to just sit and smile at you.  And boy do you smile back at her!  A smile that requires your entire face to contain it.

She, along with the rest of us, can't get enough of you.

I would say that you're spitting up less, but then I realize the laundry has not lessened and we both continually smell of milk.  It's just become part of our days.  Our milky, drooly, wet days.  I would maybe worry about you retaining enough milk, but when the scale leans over the 15 pound mark...I think we're doing okay.

You sleep like a champ.  Thank you.  It's not really consistent or scheduled, but it's always enough.  When I'm not sneaking your naps into my arms, I peer over your cradle and find your tiny thumb tucked in your mouth.  You go my resourceful little girl.

Thanks to help from your daddy, I still uphold my most cherished mama/baby time.  Our walks.  The same slings and wraps that held your sister to my chest as she gazed upwards, now hold you.  We walk the same paths.  You too, try to drink up the silhouettes of branches against the sky until it lulls you into a sleep you can't fight.  It is a holy time.

3 months...

We're learning your shouts and cries, your  giggles and smirks, your expressions and gazes.  You fill us up Lulah, all the way up.

Love,
Mama















1 comment:

  1. precious...God bless Lulah and help her survive the love of her sister!

    ReplyDelete