Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mama and the Moon


You know those little books that you see near check-out lines?  Cute, funny, or inspiring books with pictures and words of wisdom or humor.  I normally do not pay much attention to them.  But one caught my eye the other day.  

The title…

 “My Mother Gave Me the Moon.”

So I stopped and read through it and thought, wow, this is my mother to a T!

Even more than that, I thought, this is the kind of mother I want to be.

Thank you Mama, for giving me the moon.   I wish I would have written these words first, but they still come straight from my heart!



My mother gave me the moon.
My mother gave me the stars.
My mother gave me the universe and all its little miracles.
My mother gave me warmth.
My mother gave me security.
An all the while, my mother gave me room to grow and the freedom to discover the world for myself.
My mother gave me the gift of countless sunny afternoons…
Of wheelbarrow races and butterfly chases,
Bubbles of all sizes and sweet surprises.
My mother gave me childhood, pure and joyful.
My mother gave me friendship.
My mother gave me faith.
She instilled in me a sense of wonder and the wisdom to be gentle with all living things.
My mother gave me dreams and the courage to believe in them.
And she still does.
My mother made everyday days seem special.
And made special days nothing short of magical.
She taught me to hold traditions dear…
And family close.
And long before anyone else did…
My mother showed me what love really is.

1 comment: