Sunday, November 11, 2012

20 Months

Dear Lucy,

20 months today. In four months you will be my 2 year old. No longer tracked by the months you’ve been in this world, but simply by years. That seems even crazier than the fact you will also become a big sister in four months!

The only thing keeping you closer to still resembling my baby is your sweet little baby hair. Yes, it’s growing…slowly. In all other areas you are racing to little girl status.

Daily you are adding to your vocabulary, even putting a few words together in phrases. Your favorite phrase being, ‘hold you’, as you stretch your arms out waiting to be held. You like practicing your colors. You have a pretty good record of getting them right, but if you’re not sure, your fall back color is always blue. You are also all about names. Every photograph we pass or any time we’re visiting with friends and family, you like to point and say everyone’s name. Or point and say, ‘who’s this’ and have everyone say their name. You always end with a great big grin and you point to yourself and say, 'Lucy’, which sounds more like ‘sushi’. My favorite time though, is hearing you read your books to yourself.

Lucy, you are the most affectionate little tot I’ve ever seen. Sure you still have your clingy moments when you just want to be held if you’re tired, hungry, or just not feeling your best. But so often you stop what you’re doing just to run over and hug me or your dad and give us kisses, always accompanied with an, ‘awwwwww’ from you. You like kneeling in my lap and laying your head on my chest and then you look up and grin and nuzzle your cheek against my cheek and just giggle. On walks, if you’re not holding my hand, I’ll carry you and you’ll put your arm around my neck and you just pat my back with your little hand. I don’t know if toddlers already have a love language, but yours my dear would certainly be physical touch.

And my tiny little bird, you are officially in the next size clothing! After wearing 12M clothing for the entire last year, you are now wearing 18M/18-24Months. You may still be a little on the tiny side, but your personality is not. Your movements have such purpose and intent. You have a swagger and facial expressions to match, that keep your dad and me laughing all day. And speaking of laughing, I cannot keep up with how many different laughs you have. My goal is to try and get them all on video because I don’t want to ever forget a single one of them.

Lucy you embody laughter and joy, even during the times when you are helping me learn more and more about patience and grace. You continue to become one of my sweetest companions. I love you with all my heart.


Love, Mama

1 comment:

  1. Lucy will cherish these love letters! I love you, my little bird! Nana

    ReplyDelete