Monday, December 31, 2012

A Lucy Life

If there's anything I learned this year, especially during this last month and season of holidays, it's that as much as our grand visions and scheduled activities and planned occasions are fun and memorable, they are not what's important.

All of those big moments that we build up, and plan on documenting, and anticipate celebrating, those can change in the blink of an eye.  Suddenly seeming unimportant.  If we put all of our efforts into those occasions, then it can be incredibly disappointing when they pass unmarked or simply not as grand as we imagined.

It got me thinking.

I love documenting life, through words, through pictures.  I feel like it's something that will be far more valuable to leave my children and their children than any material possession I could pass down.  What I started noticing however, was that the pressure is always on documenting the 'big stuff.'  Holidays, milestones, special occasions.  And I will continue to do so.  But that's not the only part of life I want to capture. 

It's the little stuff, the every day.  The moments you don't plan for.  The moments that are simply gifts you don't deserve, nor expect.  That's the part of life I want to look back on and be reminded of.

So I started a photo project.  Instead of feeling like I have to pull out my camera and go crazy every once in awhile, I decided to take at least one picture of Lucy a day.  Something that would be easy to commit to and not involve premeditated thought.  With a new baby coming in just a few months, I know life will get a little stressful and unbalanced again until we find our rhythm as a family of four.  But during that time, I don't want to forget what we have.  Those beautiful moments in between the big stuff, the planned stuff, the complicated stuff.

This project is for no other reason but for me to have something I can sit down periodically and scroll through to remind myself of the good stuff, and attempt to freeze the every day in my mind.  I'm sharing it because I received inspiration watching other photo blogs and thought I should pass mine along as well.  I hope it's a reminder though for us to look at our own photos, our own lives, and be encouraged and grateful for who we are and where we've been placed.

It's amazing what we overlook and forget when we allow ourselves to be distracted and caught up in what still needs to be done, and what next event needs to be planned, and what milestone we're waiting for to be achieved.

So here's to just life.  The simple and unplanned.  The here and now.  The every day good stuff.

For me, here's to A Lucy Life.

Enjoy.

1 comment: