Friday, January 4, 2013

29 Weeks

Dear my second baby,

We're already a week into the third trimester.  The 7th month.

As you know we've been a sick household as of lately.  Finally on the mend.  But it got me thinking about something.  Even in a most uncomfortable and frustrating situation, I was able to appreciate something on a deeper level.  Working in our home.

I think my favorite part of staying out of the traditional workplace is learning to realign with the cycles, changes, ebbs, and flows of the seasons outside our doors.  Our schedule and patterns aren't controlled by a clocking-in and a clocking-out, a schedule that never changes or adjusts to our needs.

Like now, during this winter season.  A season of trying to stay healthy and warm.  We slow down, we sleep more, we sleep in later.  It's funny that there's still part of me that says, 'No!  We're not supposed to be doing that.'  But why not?  We didn't force it.  Our bodies, our family, slid into that pattern.  Even your sister has gone from waking around 7am, to waking around 8:30 or 9am.  I will enjoy this pace.  Our own form of hibernation, a narrowing of our circle of demands.  A slowing down, where outings require more preparation and timing.

What a perfect time for me to nest and prepare our home for you little one.

Because then comes Spring...

Your birth month was not a conscious choosing.  I think I'm drawn to this timing.  Giving birth at the cusp of Spring.  When the stirring and anticipation of getting outside are in full swing.  To stretch our bodies, and our lungs, and to explore, and to find, and to experience the newness that always comes after Winter. 

This may seem contradictory to the newborn season.  A time meant for quiet family solitude, of getting to know each other and learning all of your perfect new details.  But it's really the perfect pairing!  Because yes, once you are born you will barely leave my arms.  My need to protect, to nourish, to cover you, will be my strongest desire.  Just because you will not be in my belly, I will still be your safe place.  So as I answer to the Spring calling, you get to come along for the ride, wrapped in my arms.  The demands of schedules and appointments will again be meaningless.  We will simply explore together.  Daddy, Mama, sister, and you.

It is such a perfect time for the introduction of life.  Your life to us, and the world around us to you.

See you in a couple of months.

Love,
Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment