Saturday, March 16, 2013

Happy 10th Old Havana and more about the man behind it...



Today is a big day for my husband.

Today marks the 10th year of owning and running Old Havana Cigar Company.

And if you're interested, one of my first posts was a little about how he even ended up buying a cigar shop right out of college.  You can read it here.
I don’t know a lot about entrepreneurship…but I know 10 years is a big deal.  Especially considering what the last 4 or so years have been like.

That’s actually part of why Steven is successful.  He doesn’t make excuses…for anything.  If he has a goal, an expectation, a standard, he will achieve it.  Circumstances and situations do not make up who he is.  He has an inner strength and a spirit of perseverance that I have never seen displayed in another human being.

That very strength and perseverance and refusal to make excuses are traits that are woven through his entire life story.  A story I couldn’t possibly pour out here and do any justice to.  But I can tell you it’s one of complete inspiration.

So here is to the sacrifices he made in his youth to be in a position to buy and run a business at age 23.  And to the time, worry, hard work, and heart, poured into keeping it going and growing over the last 10 years.  For how he runs a business, to how he treats others;  I am proud, I am in awe, and I am in love with this man.

Onto a more personal note…

There’s a slightly different reason why I am so proud, in awe, and in love.  A reason that isn’t really seen or understood by anyone except for me, a two year little girl, and a new little life soon to join our family…

Steven,

I have watched over the last 5 years, you learn to work differently.  Certainly not less, but different.

It started with me.  We met, and I heard all these stories of how you were a workaholic and poured everything you had into your shop.  But I watched your schedule, your hours, start to change.  It was to get to know me, to pursue me, all leading up to learn how to be a husband who put his marriage first.

Then, oh my, this little girl was born.  You weren’t going to miss a thing.  I watched you somehow balance more responsibility, working to provide for a growing family while losing my income, all while still making time spent with us a priority.

I don’t envy that responsibility, but I’m completely moved by what you do with it.

And shame on me.  I know there are times when I take it for granted, when I still want to complain about days that end up being longer than planned or work that can’t be left for another day.  But selfishly I simply don’t want to share you with anything.  Maybe if your presence didn’t bring me so much peace and contentment it wouldn’t matter as much!
 
But my prayer for my own heart is that my attitude and actions toward you are more consistent with what’s in my heart.  

And what’s in my heart is that…I know.  I know with every fiber of my being what your priorities are, your family.  Your wife, your children (born, coming soon, and future).  

I am so grateful and so thankful for the man you are.  I’m excited for our children.

Speaking from experience, I know the value of being raised by a father who did whatever necessary to provide for his family, while recognizing that his time was still the greatest gift he could give us.  Never having to question where my importance ranked in my father’s life was an immeasurable gift that I feel beyond blessed that our children will get to experience as well.

I know it’s not always easy, well really never easy, but you make it seem that way.  The lessons our children (and me!) will learn about responsibility and love will be heard loud and clear just by watching you live out your life day by day.  That means more than any list of rules, guidelines, or lectures.  They will see that.

And yes, here we are about to bring another child into our world, and I think you’ve been pulled in more directions than ever.  

But at the end of the day, in the bottom of my heart, I’m not worried.  Because when it comes down to it and if things got to be too crazy, I know you will choose us every time.  Not out of obligation, but out of love. 
 
So know my love, that it’s noticed.  Our togetherness?  It’s noticed.  All the moments you shuffle around to be with us.  That you count those times as joy and not duty.  It’s noticed.  If I need to tell you a hundred times every day, I will.  Because I never want you to think I’m unaware of just how blessed we are and how your love for me is woven into all that you do. 

I see it, feel it, and treasure it and I send it back to you.

Love,
Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment