Wednesday, February 29, 2012

...makes us stronger.

We made it to the other side.

Saturday morning we woke up to plans for a family day of projects, walks, and a swim at the YMCA pool.  But as I picked Lucy up after her morning nap {yes I said NAP, that's for another post}, I realized our plans were changing.

She was hot.  I knew she had a fever.

It ended up being pretty low, around 101.  So we got down on the floor for some play time.  Minutes later she crawled over to me and pulled her self up on my chest and laid down and slept for another hour or so.

The next 48 hours looked like that.  If she wasn't asleep on me or Steven, she was laying on us just watching what the other one of us was doing.  At one point her temp reached 103.8.  Scary, yes.  But she was eating and drinking well, her diapers were the same, and she had no other symptoms.

Then as soon as her fever disappeared on Monday, a rash appeared on her chest, back, and neck.  Didn't seem to bother her at all, but not pretty to look at.

That pretty much confirmed that she had just pushed through the viral infection Roseola.  Apparently one of the most common childhood viruses.

Looking behind us, it really doesn't seem like that big of a deal.  We kept her hydrated, she rested and got extra sleep, her body did what it needed to do.  We let the fever run its course.

It was a test.  A BIG test.  For me at least.  Steven and I believe our bodies are capable of a lot more then they're given credit for.  We try to intercede as little as possible.  We believe fevers can be good.  We believe letting the body fight on its own, is good.

That's very easy to say when you have a healthy household!  But remember that when your baby girl is sick?

Is there ANYTHING worse then having a sick baby??

I wanted so badly to absorb every ounce of discomfort, every degree of fever, every stubborn viral germ.  I would have taken it all, times ten!  I scoured every source of information and advice, second guessing everything, and then second guessing why I was second guessing what I knew to be true.  I was frustrated that Lucy couldn't tell me exactly how she felt, and that there were times that nothing I did seemed to soothe her.  It was difficult.

In her first year of life, this was only the second time Lucy had been sick.  Both times have been common childhood viruses that just have to run their course.  How frustrating is that??  To know there is nothing you can do to speed it up or take it away.

Through all this of course, is my husband.  Calm, upbeat, positive. 

She's going to be fine.  

Her body is taking care of this.

We believe in this process.

I needed that affirmation constantly!  He also reminded me that in the same way this is our first experience with this illness, and yes it's frustrating and confusing, this is Lucy's first time with this illness and she's even more frustrated and confused!  And we set the stage.  Am I feeding her vibes of calming, secure, peace, and strength?  Or panic and worry?


This was such a learning experience for me.  Yes, I believe that God is the ultimate healer.  I believe He designed the body impeccably.  I believe He also gave us wisdom.  And in this case, that wisdom said to stay calm, keep that baby close, and let her body fight and heal.  And that's what we did.

I'm proud of Lucy and I'm proud of Ma and Pa :)

But more than anything, I'm thankful for health and learning.  I pray that next time I can stay on top of my worry and anxiety. I know she's only building her immune system and becoming stronger.  And now we can mark two viruses off of the list of things she won't go through again.

But I don't think I'll ever be able to keep from asking, Can I please take it all for her?

Here's to feeling better!






1 comment: